Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Links to information about divisions at the Superior Court of California, County of Trinity.


  • Adoptions

    There are various types of adoptions; some handled by an agency and some by private parties. Please see the resources listed on this website for assistance in filing for adoption of either minors or adults. We will be unable to set an adoption for finalization until all required documents are received in the file.

  • Appeals

    A non-prevailing party in a case may ask a higher court to review the decision in their case and determine if the decision was correct. They may do this by filing an appeal or, in some instances, a writ. Appeals and writs may be heard in the Superior Court, District Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court.

  • Civil

    The Civil Division of the court handles cases where one party sues another to recover money or property, enforce a contract, collect damages, or protect civil rights. Petitions to change names, various writs, and civil restraining orders are also handled by the Civil Division.

  • Criminal

    A criminal case is a proceeding in which someone is charged with a public offense (i.e., with committing a crime). Evidence is presented on both sides, and a decision is made as to the person's guilt.

  • Family Court Services

    Family Court Services (FCS) provides Child Custody Recommending Counseling/ Mediation in family law cases when separating or divorcing parents cannot agree on a shared plan for child custody.

  • Family Law

    The Family Law division serves parties who need to file for Dissolution, Separation or Nullity of Marriage; Establishment of Parental Relationship, Petitions for Custody and Support, Motions for Child Custody, Support, or Visitation, Support Enforcement, Guardianship of Minors, Adoption, or who seek protection from Domestic Violence, Civil Harassment, Workplace Violence or Elder Abuse.

  • Juvenile

    If a child is accused of a crime, the case is heard in Juvenile Delinquency Court.

    In cases involving allegations of abuse or neglect of a child, the case is heard in Juvenile Dependency court.

  • Probate

    Probate Court is Court of General Jurisdiction that includes: decedent's estates, trust proceedings, guardianship and conservatorship proceedings, emancipations, marriage of minors, and mental health filings.

  • Small Claims

    Small claims cases are lawsuits that do not exceed $10,000 and are resolved quickly and inexpensively. The rules are simple and informal. You may ask a lawyer for advice before you go to court, but a lawyer is not allowed to represent you in court.

  • Traffic

    The Traffic Division handles only Infraction matters for Traffic violations, Fish & Game violations, local city and county ordinances, boating, and dog/animal citations. Note: driving under the influence (DUI) violations are handled through the Criminal Division.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.